Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Project Background

I've never felt the need to document my problems with open wrt firmwares, because, for the most part, once they are set up, they just work and really don't need to ever be touched again.  However, I have a feeling I might be doing a lot more hacking, and thus I've decided to start chronicling my experiences.

First, some background: I first installed an open WRT variant (dd-WRT) over 5 years ago when I wanted to crank up the gain on my linksys WRT-54G and use it as a repeater because comcast was a rip off (and everyone else required bundling in  a phone line) and there was a weak, but open network signal from the hotel a few blocks away from my house.

I bricked one router by setting the reset bit to off and then installing a bad firmware, but quickly replaced it with another.   The over all experience was so pleasing, I convinced my previous employer to get a buffalo router for our small office.  The CEO liked it so much he immediately replaced his router at home with one.  Thus, from that point forward, I couldn't ever imagine buying a router that isn't comparable with the latest WRT hacks.  And now that I'm part of an electronic arts collaborative (CEMMI), I imagine I'll be playing with embedded devices a lot more, and thus have decided to initiate this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment